Thursday, December 4, 2014

December 4th, 2014 - Home Roasting Series (Part 7)

The roasting process is something I only touched on briefly. The most amazing thing about roasting coffee is to the "baker's choice" if you will, coffee can be roasted. There are so many different extents of how dark coffee can be roasted to, granted some coffee beans will have a fuller taste when roasted darker compared to lighter. I am not going to touch more on this because I honestly am throwing out rookie numbers right now in my roasting career.

I will say that one of the more peculiar things that comes with roasting coffee is that when the bean is heated, and begins to spin around in the Popper, the "chaff" sheds off of the bean, and can often fly all over the place. It is recommended that you use a dampened towel to catch the chaff, as it is hard to clean up. The more chaff that is shed off, the less dense the bean is, and the faster the bean will spin in the Popper. Here are the different stages of roasting coffee throughout the popper.


Fire risk makes me L-O-L

No comments:

Post a Comment